Power management company Eaton has issued a product safety bulletin for certain Eaton Heavy Duty 30A and 60A Safety Switches intended for use in heavy commercial, utility, and industrial applications.
Safety switches can potentially supply power when the handle is in the “off” position.
For more information related to the recall, visit www.eaton.com/hdss-advisorybulletin
August 16, 2018, the City of Tucson has made some changes to regular building inspections. The Remote Video Inspection program has been expanded which allows permit holders to use their smart phone for residential construction and follow-up commercial inspections. Additionally, window and stucco installation will no longer be inspected by the City of Tucson. If you have an active permit with these items attached, please disregard these items. Additional information may be found here.
Arlington, VA — The Mine Safety and Health Administration has scheduled six public stakeholder meetings and a webinar on a Request for Information on technologies that may help reduce incidents involving mobile equipment at surface mines, as well as belt conveyors at surface and underground mines. Additional information»
Surface – Copper
– On June 15, 2018, a miner fell from a man basket while exiting an electric shovel. The weldment used to secure the man basket to the shovel failed causing the miner to fall approximately 15 feet to the ground below. The miner was life flighted to a local hospital. Read more»
Safe + Sound Week is Aug. 13-19. Register to join the more than 1,000 organizations already planning to participate. The Safe + Sound website offers free training and events, including a workshop from Maryland OSHA and webinars from the National Safety Education Center and Chief Insurance Solutions, LLC. A free OSHA webinar can help you to change your approach to safety and health as well as plan an event. Visit the Safe + Sound Week webpage for more information.
Silica Has Been Adopted
In the past year ADOSH has provided articles related to Silica and how to prevent exposure to employees. In addition to the articles, the ADOSH Consultation Department has been working with employers in the construction industry to identify silica exposures. Employers either used engineering controls or personal protective equipment. As of July 23, 2018, ADOSH received the written notification that the rule was adopted.
At this time, we would like to encourage any employers who may have questions or would like to have an Industrial Hygiene consultant visit your jobsite to determine what hazards are present call either our Phoenix or Tucson office. Our staff can help with program development and monitoring for free.
Phoenix Office: 602-542-1769
Tucson Office: 520-628-5478
Here is link to the full newsletter
Surface – Lead-Zinc – On April 11, 2018, a miner received serious injuries when he was struck by a piece of metal floor grating. A construction supervisor stepped on a section of metal floor grating. that was unsupported and unsecured on one edge . The grating, which weighed over 100 lbs., tilted, fell through the opening it was supposed to cover, and struck the miner 25 feet below.
* Ensure that floor gratings and covers installed over travelways are substantially constructed, fully supported, secured in place, inspected regularly and properly maintained.
* Inspect metal structures located in wet or corrosive environments frequently to identify deterioration that may present a safety hazard.
* Evaluate the integrity and support strength of any cover that was not designed as a walkway prior to walking on it. Provide and maintain a safe means of access to all working places.
* Restrict access to covers over openings not specifically designed to serve as travelways. Provide readily visible warning signs that clearly display the nature of the hazard and any protective action required.
* If the travel surface integrity is unknown or cannot be readily confirmed, ALWAYS wear fall protection.
When his personal vehicle became stuck in a ditch, a miner decided to use a front-end loader to retrieve it. However, as he drove the loader as toward the vehicle, he lost control, traveled through a berm and rolled over. The miner suffered serious injuries. The accident occurred on July 17, 2017. Read more»
Surface – Limestone – A miner performing maintenance on a screening plant received a shock from a portable welder and suffered serious injuries. The accident occurred on July 20, 2017. Read more»