First published by National Safety Council
April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month and new NSC estimates show that our roads are the most dangerous they’ve been in years; on a typical day, eight people are killed and hundreds more are injured in distraction-affected crashes. Your workers face distracted driving risks on every trip, from the driveway to the parking lot and back home again.
This April, team with NSC to spread the word that distracted driving, including hands-free phone use and infotainment systems, puts everyone at risk. Sign up for free, ready-to-use resources to create a distracted driving program that engages your workforce and reminds everyone to #JustDrive.
“Drivers using cellphones are four times more likely to crash, and hands-free phone use offers no safety benefit,” the council says.
Be a focused driver.
What’s that? NSC says a focused driver:
- Adjusts vehicle controls such as mirrors, seat, radio and air temperature before driving.
- Programs the GPS before leaving.
- Plans ahead – determines routes, directions and checks traffic conditions before departing.
- Doesn’t multitask behind the wheel.
- Doesn’t talk on a cellphone – even hands-free – or interact with the vehicle’s infotainment system.
- Doesn’t reach down or behind the seat, pick up items from the floor, or clean the inside of the window while driving.
- Doesn’t eat or drink while behind the wheel.
Take the NSC Just Drive Pledge
McCraren Compliance can help you understand and comply with FMCSA, USDOT and ADOT and ensure your drivers and your vehicles operate safely and efficiently.
Call us today at 888-758-4757 or email us at email@example.com to schedule your free FMCSA Compliance Assessment.