Original article published by MSHA
Improperly applying large quantities of foam products to fill voids can cause underground mine fires. Polyurethane-based foam products will produce heat from an exothermic chemical reaction.
- Use the Proper Product. Do not fill large voids with foam products that generate a hazardous amount of heat.
- Follow the Manufacturer’s Directions.
- Train Miners. Train miners before handling and using foam, grout, and resin products, including potential heat hazards.
- Educate Miners on Chemical Exposure Hazards. Provide miners with Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Foam Placement. Form used to support foam should be fire resistant or fire retardant.
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.