METAL/NONMETAL MINE FATALITY – A miner fell into a portable load out bin on January 8, 2020, and died at the scene.
- Check handrails and gates. Ensure handrails and gates are substantially constructed, properly secured, and free of defects.
- Install mechanical flow-enhancing devices so workers do not have to enter a bin to start or maintain material flow.
- Don’t stand on material stored in bins. Material stored in a bin can bridge over the hopper outlet, creating a hidden void below the material surface.
- Lock-out, tag-out. Do not enter a bin until the supply and discharge equipment is locked out.
- Wear a safety belt or harness secured with a lanyard to an adequate anchor point before entering a bin. Station a second person near the anchor point to make sure there’s no slack in the fall protection system.
- Train all miners to recognize fall hazards and properly use fall protection.
- Provide safe access to all workplaces, and discuss and establish safe work procedures.
This is the first fatality reported in 2020, and the first fatality classified as “Fall of Person.”