First published by MSHA.
MINE FATALITY – On Jan. 16, 2021, a miner was fatally injured while using a tool to remove a down-the-hole hammer. The drill motor turned unexpectedly, pinning the driller’s leg between the tool and the drill mast.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before starting any task.
- Identify and control all hazards. Train all workers to recognize potential hazards and understand safe job procedures to eliminate hazards before beginning work.
- Follow manufacturer’s procedures for using equipment, and monitor employees for compliance.
- Position yourself in a safe location away from potential “danger-zone” areas.
- Train miners to safely perform their tasks.
- Conduct equipment inspections and correct any defects affecting safety.
This is the first fatality reported in 2021, and the first classified as “Machinery.”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.