First published by MSHA
MINE FATALITY – On January 7, 2022, a 49 year-old front-end loader operator with 15 years of mining experience died when a large rock fell from the mine roof, crushing the cab of the front-end loader. When the accident occurred, the victim was loading material from a recently blasted shot.
- Scale the back and ribs before performing work in an area.
- Conduct examinations of the back, face, and ribs where miners work and travel.
- Install suitable ground support where conditions warrant.
- Use geologic hazard mapping to identify adverse conditions and be aware of changing ground conditions.
- Train miners to identify workplace hazards and take action to correct them.
This is the first fatality reported in 2022, and the first classified as “Fall of Roof or Back.”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.