First published by MSHA.
MINE FATALITY – On September 1, 2020, a miner died when he fell while attempting to close a hatch on the top of a bulk material trailer. The miner was wearing a fall protection harness but his lanyard was not attached to a secure anchorage.
- Encourage the use of automated hatches on tanks and trailers.
- Provide and ensure the use of an effective fall arrest and secure anchorage system.
- Provide safe access to all work areas and ensure truck and trailer access and work platforms are properly designed, maintained, and used.
- Examine work areas and equipment. Don’t use unsafe work areas and equipment until repairs are made.
- Refresh miner training on safe work procedures after returning from periods of shutdown, and routinely monitor work habits.