First published by MSHA.
MINE FATALITY – On Nov. 23, 2020, a miner was fatally injured when the battery-powered scoop he was operating ran over a section of pipe in the roadway. The four-inch plastic pipe entered the operator’s compartment and struck him.
- Conduct thorough examinations of roadways and remove material that could pose a hazard to equipment operators, passengers, or other miners.
- Keep roadways free of excessive water, mud, and other conditions that reduce an equipment operator’s ability to control mobile equipment.
- Secure loads on haulage vehicles to prevent them from falling off into roadways.
- Install substantial guarding to prevent material from entering the operator compartment.
- Establish safe operating procedures for mobile equipment and a maintenance schedule for roadways.
This is the 25th fatality reported in 2020, and the seventh classified as “Powered Haulage.”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.