On March 6, 2019, a 35-year-old contractor with 35 weeks of experience was fatally injured when he was struck by a relief valve that was ejected from a 500-ton hydraulic jack. The hydraulic jack was being engaged to make contact with the frame of a P&H 4100A shovel when the relief valve was ejected.
- Inspect, examine, maintain, and evaluate all materials and system components used in the installation, replacement, or repair of pressurized systems to ensure they are suitable for use and meet minimum manufacturer’s specifications.
- Test systems at lower pressures to verify connections and flow rates prior to full pressure use.
- Position yourself in a safe location, away from any potential sources of failure, while pressurizing systems.
- Consult and follow the manufacturer’s recommended safe work procedures.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures that include hazard analysis before beginning work. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed and use methods to properly protect persons.