First published by MSHA
MINE FATALITY – On December 3, 2021, a miner was fatally injured when he became entangled in the return idler on the belt conveyor under a portable crusher plant.
Photo property of MSHA
- Before performing maintenance and repair work near belt conveyors:
- Remove power from the belt drive.
- Securely block equipment against hazardous motion in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Guard moving machine parts to protect miners from contacting moving parts.
- Provide and maintain a safe means of access to all working places.
- Conduct thorough examinations of equipment. Report defects and do not work in unsafe conditions.
- Train miners to assess risks and control hazards before beginning work on belt conveyors.
This is the 33rd fatality reported in 2021, and the 16th classified as “Powered Haulage.”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.