First published by MSHA
MINE FATALITY – On December 4, 2021, a miner was performing maintenance duties on a continuous mining machine (CMM) when the raised CMM tail boom lowered, resulting in fatal crushing injuries to the miner.
Photo: Mine Safety and Health Administration
- Before performing maintenance and repair work:
- De-energize the power source.
- Open the visual disconnect.
- Lock and tag the visual disconnect.
- Securely block equipment against hazardous motion in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Provide sufficient space around equipment to perform work safely.
- Develop and implement procedures to complete tasks safely.
- Train all miners to perform their assigned tasks safely.
- Operators should implement procedures to address hazards that cause injury.
This is the 34th fatality reported in 2021, and the sixth classified as “Machinery.”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.