MINE FATALITY – On December 13, 2021, a miner was fatally injured when he became entangled in the drill steel of the roof bolting machine he was operating.
- Before performing maintenance and repair work on roof bolting machines or other equipment:
- Turn off the engine.
- Securely block equipment against hazardous motion by following manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Never touch or hold the drill steel while it is rotating.
- Do not wear loose-fitting or bulky clothing when working around any machinery with rotating parts.
- Train miners to perform their assigned tasks safely.
This is the 36th fatality reported in 2021, and the seventh classified as “Machinery.”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.