First published by MSHA.
MINE FATALITY – On March 12, 2021, a miner was fatally injured while attempting to insert a steel pin into a spud beam.
- Always assure hoisted equipment movement has stopped and the hoist operator has set the brake before working on hoisted equipment.
- Assure the hoist operator can see miners working on hoisted equipment.
- Establish an effective communication protocol, which includes confirmation of instructions, between the hoist operator and miners working on hoisted equipment.
- Position yourself in a safe location to maintain balance and protection from any energy of cantilevering tools or objects.
- Stay in a Safe Zone when working around cables and sheave wheel systems.
- Always maintain a work area that is clean and clear of debris.
- Train equipment operators in the safe performance of their tasks and potential hazards.
This is the seventh fatality reported in 2021, and the first classified as “Handling Material.”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.