First published by MSHA.
MINE FATALITY – On July 29, 2020, a miner was injured when his arm became entangled in a stacker conveyor belt. The victim was airlifted to a trauma center where he passed away a week later.
- Turn off, lock out power sources and block against motion before removing or bypassing a guard or other safety device to clean, repair, perform maintenance or clear a blockage on a belt conveyor.
- Never clean pulleys or idlers manually while belt conveyors are operating.
- Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing and keep tools, body parts and long hair away from moving belt conveyor components.
- Train all personnel in safe work procedures.
- Properly guard moving machine parts to protect persons from contact that could cause injury.
This is the 12th fatality reported in 2020, and the second classified as “Powered Haulage.”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.