MINE FATALITY – On May 14, 2021, a continuous mining machine operator was fatally injured when a piece of rock fell from the roof and struck him. The victim was working under unsupported roof in the Number 1 entry.
- Never work or travel under unsupported roof.
- Thoroughly examine the roof, face and ribs where people will be working and traveling, including sound and vibration testing.
- Scale loose roof and ribs from a safe location. Prevent access to unsupported and hazardous areas until appropriate corrective measures can be taken.
- Follow the approved roof control plan and provide additional support when cracks or other abnormalities are detected. Never exceed the maximum cut depth specified in the approved roof control plan.
- Mark the second to last row of bolts with reflective material and train miners not to travel inby this location.
- Train miners to identify hazards from the roof, face and ribs.
This is the 11th fatality reported in 2021, and the first classified as “Fall of Roof or Back.”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.