First published by MSHA
MINE FATALITY – On October 20, 2021, a 50-year-old mechanic with 12 years of experience was fatally injured when he was struck by the bucket of an excavator while assisting in repositioning a hopper.
- Never position yourself between mobile equipment and a stationary object.
- Do not work in pinch points where inadvertent movement could cause injury.
- Carefully inspect and secure the pins in an excavator’s bucket before each use.
- Before beginning work, analyze all tasks, establish safe work procedures, train miners, and eliminate hazards. Be alert for hazards that may be created while the work is performed.
- Identify and apply methods to protect personnel from hazards associated with the work performed.
- Monitor all employees to ensure safe work procedures, including safe work positioning, are followed.
This is the 30th fatality reported in 2021, and the 5th classified as “Machinery”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.