Original article published by Safety+Health
Winston-Salem, NC — The Steel Erectors Association of America has created a downloadable poster for the 10th annual National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction – set for May 1-5.
The voluntary OSHA event is intended to prevent fall-related deaths and injuries by raising awareness of hazards. SEAA’s new poster features advice and recommendations for pre-task meetings. Among the tips for “before” a meeting:
- Identify tasks that involve the most risk.
- Decide if employees will need refresher training on the risky tasks.
- Determine if an interpreter will be needed for non-English-speaking workers.
- Supervisor should conduct periodic checks to ensure the plan is being followed.
- Ask for feedback on how to improve the meetings.
Then, the poster covers what it calls “the basics.” These include:
- The supervisor hosting the meeting near the work area.
- Putting up barricades to prevent entry, if needed.
- Establishing and communicating the process.
The poster also offers ideas for getting teams involved in the pre-task meetings, such as assigning a different person to lead each meeting, reviewing proper personal protective equipment to wear, and having the crew identify hazards and how they’d fix them.
Two posters from previous years – 11 Tips for Post-Fall Recovery and 7 Tips for Planning a Stand-Down Event – are still available.
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.