First published by MSHA.
MINE FATALITY – On April 22, 2021, a miner was fatally injured when leaving the mine site in his personal pickup truck. The manual swing barrier gate was partially closed. A gate pole entered the truck’s windshield as the pickup truck approached, striking the victim and causing fatal injuries.
- Ensure that manual swing barrier gates can be secured when opened or closed to prevent unintentional movement.
- Paint or tape swing barrier gates with reflective and distinguished markings to differentiate them from their surroundings. Install additional lighting near barrier gates.
- Conduct thorough travelway examinations to identify and mitigate hazards.
- Establish safetraffic patterns with proper signage.
- Be alert to road conditions and always keep a clear line of sight.
- Maintain proper speed for road conditions.
This is the ninth fatality reported in 2021, and the fifth classified as “Powered Haulage”
McCraren Compliance offers many opportunities in safety training to help circumvent accidents. Please take a moment to visit our calendar of classes to see what we can do to help your safety measures from training to consulting.